Pages

8/16/2009

Do You NaNo?

I'm referring to NaNoWriMo, of course, that yearly madness that occurs in the month of November where writers across the globe write madly to complete a 50K ms in a month. Some don't make it - I didn't last year - but you always get more words down than you would have normally, and you usually have a lot of fun. Okay, and spend a fair amount of time pulling out your hair, too. ;)

Since September is bearing down on us pretty fast, I'm thinking of how close November really is. I already know what my NaNo project will be, a Blaze I've been thinking about doing for about a year and a half. My hero survived a death by lightning strike, only to come back to life missing some of his memories - and his sex drive - and possessing some freaky new abilities. And the only woman who can bring him out of his sexual cold spell is the chubby girl he teased when they were in elementary school, a girl who is now a sexy, confident woman who has sworn off anything but committed relationships. Should be fun! And a little crazy, but that's what NaNo is all about.

Do you NaNo? If so, do you know yet what your project will be this year? If you don't do NaNo or similar timed writing challenges, why not?

11 comments:

Christina Phillips said...

I've never done NaNo but I LOVE the sound of your Blaze, Cari!! Hope you get heaps of it written during November!!

April Vine said...

Hey Cari
Ooh, your new Blaze sounds awesome!!!!
I did NaNo last year -thanks to Helen- and finished with four hours to spare! I cut it fine. I'm definitely doing it again this year. I'm using it to help me finalize existing projects so I can start with a clean screen. I have no idea what about though - but that's half the fun of NaNo!

Helen Hardt said...

You know I'm a big NaNo proponent, LOL. I've had success the past two years. And you also know I'm waffling about what my project will be this year -- Hmm, Spanish hottie or werewolf novellas?

What do you think?

Hi Christina and April!

Super_Kiwi said...

LOL Damn it. November is coming around fast.... I've got a three day trip planned in Novemeber so my Nano-stakes will be higher, but I am up to the challenge :) hehe.

NOT sure what I shall do yet, but thinking cap is ON :)

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

I've never done this but it sounds intriguing, as does your story!!

Ashley N said...

The first I ever actually heard of NaNo was December of last year... the month AFTER NaNo. lol So this year will be my first. And I intend to, though what of I'm not sure. And I'll have the added complication of transferring from one rotation to another... one here in PHX, the other in Chicago! It's doubtful I'll succeed, but I can hope. ;-)

Amy Ruttan said...

I did successfully in 2006, haven't managed to finish one again. Each year I try though.

Catherine Bybee said...

I've never NaNo'd. Ever! Perhaps when my children are grown I'll do it... for now I'll just stick at my own pace.
Best of luck on your Blaze, Cari.

TaraLeigh said...

Well hello there CP. I missed this post.

You know I'm doing NaNo this year again. I managed to get it done last year by the skin of my damn teeth!

Still have to edit that hot mess too. lol I love the challenge. Must be the aries in me. ;) I must be out of my freakin' mind to do it again!

I'm pretty sure I have my story too.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I think I'm going to try NaNo this year. No idea what my theme will be. Good luck to getting your Blaze done in time! You'll do it.

Word Actress said...

I do NaNo. This will be my third year. I started my novel 'Night Surfing - A Story of Love & Wonder in the Waves of Malibu' that first year in 2007 though the story looks so different now. I'm hoping to finish some version of it on November 30th. NaNo is the greatest free motivational site ever. It did get rather mucky last year with so many writers on board but that's also what makes it fun. I've written a great first five chapters and a great last fiver chapters. I'll be working on that muddy middle during this year's event. Mary Kennedy Eastham, Author, 'The Shadow of a Dog I Can't Forget'