Welcome to erotic romance author Amber Lin, who's here today with her debut release GIVING IT UP! I had a chance to read GIVING IT UP early and all I have to say is this is a book you MUST read if you like gritty, edgier romance that makes you think as well as turns you on. I adored Colin and Allie, and stayed up WAY too late reading!
Here's Amber with her great post about EIGHT REASONS TO LOVE THE STRONG AND SILENT TYPE (and lemme tell you...Colin definitely is worthy of some swooning!) Make sure to read on to find out how to be entered into the great giveaway!
Eight Reasons to Love the Strong and Silent Type
Thanks so much to Cari for hosting me on her blog! My debut book, Giving It Up, is out now and I want to talk about the hero, Colin. He is the “strong, silent type” which I ADORE. But why?
1. They brood. What are they thinking about? Something deep, like their tortured pasts or the meaning of life. Or maybe they’re just thinking about what’s under the heroine skirts and how they can get there. WHATEVER, man. It’s hot. My book, Giving It Up, is written in the heroine’s first-person POV, which means you get to follow her journey and enjoy Colin’s broodiness alongside her.
2. They’re confident. They don’t need to fill in the silence. They don’t need to be hear themselves talk. In the opening scene of Giving It Up, Allie is at a nightclub looking for a hookup. She’s into Colin… and clearly he’s into her the way he keeps checking her out. But he doesn’t give her a quick line or cozy up to her. Nope. He waits for her to come to him.
3. They act. They show what they mean with their actions, not their words. Allie wants a night of rough, raunchy sex. Colin knows that’s all a lot of bullshit, he’s not going to have a mushy heart-to-heart on the subject. No, he’ll show her how he plans to treat her… with some hot oral smexing. This is EXACTLY why we love you, strong silent types!
4. A little goes a long way. They are normally pretty quiet, but when they DO say something, you know it’s something important. At the end of their date, Colin stops and considers. Then carefully asks her out. But she can’t, she really can’t!
5. They understand the value of silence. Because sometimes we just aren’t ready yet. Or something is too hard to say. You know what I’m talking, those moments. Life is beating us down. We need a BREAK. Colin gives her that. He respectfully decides on the strategic retreat, allowing her the space she needs. But oh lord, he is not done with her.
6. They’re patient. I’m not sure whether it’s a cause or effect, but the strong silent types tend to be patient men! No need to rush something. If it’s important enough to work for it, then it’s good enough to wait for it. Colin knows that Allie will be back, and he’ll be there when she is. But he doesn’t have endless patience either. Next time she comes near him, she better be prepared!
7. They’re possessive. Now look, the strong silent type has a high tolerance level. Just because some ass is mouthing off in a bar, he’s not going to start a fight over it, because he knows it’s not worth it. Plus, he’d definitely win, and then he’d be paying this guy’s medical bills. Lame. But dare a man put his hand on his woman, speak badly of her, or HURT HER? No, sir. Not allowed. I’ll let you in on a little secret: Colin puts a guy in the hospital. Did I not mention he was a bit of a bad boy, in addition to being the strong silent type?
8. When they break, it’s SO FUCKING SEXY. There is something about a man showing such reserve… you just KNOW they’re going to break before the story ends. We get to see the little cracks in the Colin’s façade, the signs that the Allie is getting to him. But at some point, he’s going to break wide open, and it’s hot and moving and something you don’t want to miss.
Hot, right? So check out Giving It Up and watch Colin in action…
Giving It Up
Allie prowls the club for a man who will use her hard and then ditch her. Hey, it's not rape if she wants it. Instead she finds Colin, who looks tough but treats her tenderly, despite her protests.
He tempts her, but kindness and a few mindblowing orgasms aren't enough to put her back together again. Allie has no hope for a real relationship. Two years ago her best friend betrayed her in the worst possible way – she’d be stupid to trust a man again. Besides, she has her daughter to think of, the only good thing to have come from that dark night.
But when her rapist returns, threatening her sanity and custody of her daughter, Allie turns to Colin. Under his protection and patient touch, Allie begins to heal and learns to hope. Colin’s no saint, though, and his criminal past draws danger of its own. Allie must fight to protect her child and the man she loves, hoping her newfound power will be enough to save them all.
"A ballsy departure from romantic conventions. At once gritty and tender, stark and hopeful."
—Cara McKenna, author of Willing Victim
—Cara McKenna, author of Willing Victim
"Giving It Up is an erotic, compelling story that takes us to the shadowy, lonely places but doesn't leave us there. Amber Lin shows us that romance isn't just for the rich and shiny. Love can find its way even into the dark corners of the most damaged hearts."
—Tiffany Reisz, author of The Siren
—Tiffany Reisz, author of The Siren
Check out the incredible trailer for GIVING IT UP!
We stripped at the same time, both eager. I wanted to see his body, to witness what he offered me, but it was dark in the room. Then he kissed me back onto the bed, and there was no more time to wonder. The cheap bedspread was rough and cool against my skin. His hands stroked over my breasts and then played gently with my nipples.
My body responded, turning liquid, but something was wrong.
I’d had this problem before. Not everyone wanted to play rough, but I was surprised that I’d misread him. His muscles were hard, the pads of his fingers were calloused. I didn’t know how he could touch me so softly. Everything about him screamed that he could hurt me, so why didn’t he?
I wanted him to have his nasty way with me, but every sweet caress destroyed the illusion. My fantasy was to let him do whatever he wanted with me, but not this.
“Harder,” I said. “I need it harder.”
Instead his hands gentled. The one that had been holding my breast traced the curve around and under.
I groaned in frustration. “What’s wrong?”
He reached down, still breathing heavily, and pressed a finger lightly to my cunt, then stroked upward through the moisture. I gasped, rocking my hips to follow his finger.
“You like this,” he said.
Yes, I liked it. I was undeniably aroused but too aware. I needed the emptiness of being taken. “I like it better rough.”
Colin frowned. My eyes widened at the ferocity of his expression.
In one smooth motion he flipped me onto my stomach. I lost my breath from the surprise and impact. His left hand slid under my body between my legs and cupped me. His right hand fisted in my hair, pulling my head back. His erection throbbed beside my ass in promise. I wanted to beg him to fuck me, but all I could do was gasp. He didn’t need to be told, though, and ground against me, using my hair as a handle.
That small pain on my scalp was perfection, sharp and sweet. Numbness spread through me, as did relief.
The pain dimmed. My arousal did too, but that was okay. I was only vaguely aware of him continuing to work my body from behind.
I went somewhere else in my mind. I’d stay that way all night.
At least that’s what usually happened.