Pages

10/07/2008

Forks in the path

I had an epiphany of sorts today, prompted by too little sleep, some wise comments from people I trust, and my own oft-ignored better judgment. Someone very smart told me recently that I'm a round peg trying to fit myself into a square hole, and more and more, I see that's true. I love to write. It's truly what I love best in the world (not counting music, which is a whole other subject) but I've lost some of that joy lately. Some of that is because I like creating more than revising, and I've been in revision land for a while. But the bigger issue is I've allowed my desire to get published ASAP get ahead of writing the kind of stories I like to read, even if my skill level isn't quite there yet. Although I'll read most anything someone puts in front of me - even cereal boxes - I like quirky stories that don't fit the mold, with lots of sexual tension and witty banter and plenty of action. A true mix of light and dark with characters that aren't typical and don't have the typical relationship. But that's not what I've been trying to write. I've been toying with writing what's "hot" and then wondering why my muse has run screaming.

I haven't ruled out anything yet, but I do know I'm not going to write stories I don't love. If I'm meant to get published one day, I will. But it won't matter if I'm not having fun doing the thing I've always wanted to do most.

3 comments:

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Cari -- that enigmatic comment about biases in your email is beginning to make sense now ;). I've heard so many writers say they're trying to write to the market, or write what's "hot." If your heart's not in it, though, it won't be your best work. As Shakespeare said, "This above all: to thine own self be true..."

Write what you love, and you'll love what you write.

Helen

TaraLeigh said...

WHOOOHOO!!!
I'm glad you've been thinking about it babes.

*muah*

You write what you love and you'll turn heads, I swear it! Kiki already proves it. hehe

I cannnoooooottttttt wait until you show much what you come up with!

Amanda Ashby said...

Cari - I used to tell myself that the only thing worse than not getting published would be to get published with the 'wrong' book. As long as your writing reflects what you believe in, you can't go too far wrong!